Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Remind(.com) me again what is due tomorrow?



www.scaryforkids.com

Remind(.com) me again what is due tomorrow?


We can post it, they can put it in their planner, handouts can be given and we can tell them when the assignment is due until we are blue in the face...

However, there is only one way we can be sure that they (or their parents) get the message.... 
developerappcelerator.com.. if you put it on their phone.

Remind.com has been used by several teachers and coaches in our district with much success.

My top reasons for using remind.com:

6. The students/parents register themselves.  No time wasted creating accounts...
5. You can include several classes or A single student/parent in a message.
4. You can do it from your computer, No phone necessary!  (the option is there though)
3. You can schedule it in advance.
2. NO phone numbers are exchanged (you don't know theirs, they don't know yours).
1. They cannot text back.*

Here is what our teachers are saying about Remind.com: 

"Remind.com is one of the most convenient and easy ways to stay in contact with students and parents. I love that I can schedule reminders to let students and parents know about upcoming essay due dates or exams. I also use it for my extracurricular groups to remind them of fundraisers or to let parents know when we are returning from competitions. I HIGHLY recommend it!"  ~ Ann Defilippi

"I like how the Remind app commits to high security and privacy to keep texting safe and stress-free.  The one-way text and schedule features allow me to efficiently send out reminders, announcements, and emergency texts to both students and parents.  I use it every week for marching band and field trips." ~ Adam Brooks

See the links below for video tutorials - or just go to the site to get started, it's that easy!
Remind.com

Remind Video Tutorials

Here is a snapshot of some of my classes.





*there is now a chat option that you can allow for polling and such, this I have yet to explore

PLEASE LEAVE YOUR QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS !


Now text away, text away, text away ALL! 

Your TechCoaches

5 comments:

  1. This is a great resource to present to parents at Open House.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, Senora! I will write the text and # on my board so the parents may see as they walk in.

    There is an "app" for Remind that allows students to respond to a message with a "star", "check", or "X" for surveying or polling situations. With a little more advancement, this may be a good resource to use in everyday classroom learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome resource Jenn! I went to a workshop this summer and saw another resource that might be useful for teachers who use this function. Dr. Brenda Boyer over at Kutztown Area Hight School uses Google Voice to allow students to call and text her with research questions at designated after school times. Check out her online library at http://kasd.libguides.com/subjectguides. If you go to the section with "need help, have a question." She has the library phone number. This phone is run through Google Voice, and it transcribes all text and voice calls to help document all of her conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use REMIND in my classroom and I love it! If anyone would like help setting up an account, please see me. It is very easy and user friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the past month, I have been utilizing the Remind "Chat" feature. I was not too keen on sending texts to individual students, but it has helped send video links, documents, ensemble pictures, and information to only select students.

    It is important for the students to realize that it should not be used like a quick text feature, but rather, an easy way to dispense one or two messages.

    ReplyDelete