Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Google Classroom Grades 5-12

Just in time for the holidays, I present you with my #1 favorite Google App:  
Ask yourself the following:


  •  Do you want your students to be thinking about your content outside of class time?

  •  Do you want to be communicatively connected with your students in their most frequented environment?

  •  Do you want to incorporate technology into your instruction and assessment but hate the process of digital distribution and collection?

  • Do you want to minimize the delay for feedback on assessments or turnaround time for resubmissions?

If you answered yes to any of these questions -- get to classroom.google.com

I use Google Classroom to quickly and seamlessly push out announcements, websites, files, surveys, tests & discussion questions.  It makes collection of digital files effortless and subplanning a breeze from any computer anytime, anywhere.  

The students like it because they can use their devices, it syncs with their calendars, and they can submit files without being logged onto a school computer.  Grades and comments can be set to pop up as notifications on their phone or iPod.  In addition, there is the option of posting questions to the stream when something is unclear.



Teachers in our district across all disciplines are already taking advantage of this EASY to use tool.  Google keeps it simple, and that is why it works.

SMASD Departments with current Google Classrooms are: 

- Science
- ELA
- Music
- Computer Programming
- Foreign Language
- History
- Health
- Extracurriculars

Keep in mind that you aren't limited to Google file types. 
Any file or link can be distributed and collected through Classroom!  
- Documents
- Spreadsheets
- Videos
- Audio Files
- Links to webpages
- PowerPoints


Watch a demo from Google: 



Or come with me on a tour of my classroom... 



Google Classroom teachers, 

    Share one thing you love about using classroom with your students in the comment section below!

4 comments:

  1. It works really nicely in the English classroom. I can "collect" rough drafts, make comments/corrections, and send them right back to the student. It makes it easier to be a part of the entire writing process with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hated google docs a few years ago. It was slow and the printers hated it. I LOVE google docs and google classroom now. If you tried this a few years ago, try it again. It is a whole new ball game. Projects come with a history. Did the kids make the changes you wanted? Did they all work on it? Did they submit it when they said they did? There is a record of everything! This makes the work so much more transparent. I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the fact that Google Docs tracks the changes. I had a situation last year where the kids were arguing over who deleted something from one of their slides. The issue was resolved very quickly when I tracked the changes!

      Delete
  3. I am still loving google classroom. I love that students can use their google plus account to log into most sites we use and most sites now come with google classroom friendly posts that will post directly to your classroom as post. I find that I am much more willing to have students share or create content for the class with google classroom. There is not a school day that goes by that I don't do something in my google classroom.

    ReplyDelete